Inside Out Tag

I've been playing around with my new Sizzlit Inside Out Alphabet die and thought it would make a great background for a tag.  This is my tag I came up with:
After I made this tag, I started to think of different mediums you could use with this die and tag, but I'll show you how I came up with this effect.
First, diecut a white tag(I used the Sizzix Tim Holtz Tag) or use a purchased tag.  Diecut your Inside Out alphabet, using white smooth cardstock.
Glue down your solid letters and outline letters onto your tag.  I left some open areas, but you could cover the whole tag too.
Next, paint the whole tag with Ranger's silver metallic acrylic paint and let dry.
I used metallic paint first so that when I painted over top with black paint, I was able to rub it off lightly while it was still wet.  Using a paper towel just wipe off some of the black paint and expose some of the silver paint underneath.  The top half of the tag in the photo, I've wiped and the bottom hasn't been done yet.
After your paint is dried, lightly sand the tag and then ink.  The right side hasn't been inked yet, and the left side was inked with Tim Holtz Evergreen Bough Distress Ink.  Now you are ready to embellish your tag.
I used all of the above dies and embossing folder to complete my tag.
Sizzix Ornamental Die, Vintage Telephone/Typewriter setFramelits Fancy Die Set, Blossom, Circles, Leaves, Diamonds Embossing Folder

I cut out two of the mini typewriters from grungeboard.  Taking one of the diecuts, cut out the small parts as shown in the typewriter diecut on the right of the photo.  Glue these onto the second grungeboard typewriter so they are raised.  Paint your typewriter with black acrylic paint, let dry.  I then painted another color(turquoise), leaving some of the black paint exposed.  After this is dry, paint again with white crackle paint(Tim Holtz Picket Fence Crackle Paint) and let dry.  Ink the edges and raised areas.  Add your diecut and embossed labels, a ticket, some embellishments and Tim Holtz film strip ribbon.
I hope this tag inspires you to try your own alphabet textured background.  I've been experimenting with different mediums and love the effect that sprays have.  The liquid collects in the outline letters and    comes out darker and more concentrated.
Have a great week and see you soon!

Jan

12 comments

Norma Gomez said...

WOW Jan, I am LOVING this tag!! Thanks so much for including a step by step tutorial :D

KellyCreates said...

VERY cool techniques, Jan! Thanks for sharing :)

Anna-Karin said...

Wow Jan, this is so cool! I love that background, will try it out soon. And how clever to place the filmstrip in the typewriter. TFS!

Naj6952 said...

What is in the area that you cut out? Is it patterned paper?
You don't explain that part in the tutorial.
I love the entire look of this.

Dottie said...

Found your blog this morning through Sizzix. Love your tag!! Looking forward to following your work. Thanks for sharing.

Shelly Hickox said...

This is SO cool!!! Thanks for sharing your awesome tutorial. Your tag is fantastic!!

Jan Hobbins said...

Sorry! I used Basic Grey's What's Up line, the back side of papers - "Light As a Feather" and "Blue Skies" for the layered diecut. For the embossed paper diecut I used BoBunny's paper Gabrielle line - "Gabrielle Cameo" and the Sizzix embossing folder, Blossom, Circles, Leaves & Diamond set #657394.

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your gorgeous tag!! So imaginative and outstanding techniques!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fantastic! Just found you via Pinterest... what a great idea to use the diecut letters this way. Love your tag.

inge said...

Hello jan,
Marjie led me to you through pinterest...

Your tagcolors grabbed my attention: i love all the layers in the tag and the typewriter.
An inspirational tag for me!

Greetings from belgium
Inge

dkjones said...

I love this as well. It is so unique - I love the grunge look - you have inspired me to try it. TFS.
Debbie

Unknown said...

Thanks to Limor I just found your blog… I love your work… This Tag is a total favorite.

Back to Top